Monday, August 27, 2007

Seeking the Truth Demands Questioning our Faith

Anyone who knows me very well, knows that I am adventurous when it comes to asking questions about the Bible, theology, and the practice of faith. For me, no question is off limits. I am a person who is not completely satisfied with the common idea that if the Bible says it, then that settles it. I am extremely open to new ways of thinking about the Bible and theology, for in my mind Jesus’ statement that the truth will set you free is the hallmark of our quest. Yet, there are specific reasons why I also encourage others to ask such challenging questions.

One reason for my determination to raise critical questions about faith, and why I encourage others to do so also, is that I grew up in a fundamentalist tradition in which queries about the Bible and faith were not appreciated. This was particularly true when one tried to ask questions about the inconsistencies found in the Bible, or when one tried desperately to harmonize a belief in a good God and yet the reality of suffering. As a teenager I was told that such questions are not important, and even dangerous to ask; only knowing Jesus and believing in him were necessary. I became satisfied with this answer until a later time when I began to discover the intellectual obstacles one encounters when approaching the Bible for clear answers. It was then that I returned to ask those serious questions, which opened more questions, and which eventually led to evolutionary, and indeed revolutionary changes in the way I view the Bible and the Christian faith.

A second reason for my critical approach to the Bible and faith is that I perceive a regrettable weakness in the way many churches see the Bible. More liberal minded churches have almost abandoned the Bible as a source for faith and life. While they may read from it in worship, many of them see little or no value in looking critically at the Bible for the basis of theology and practice. I have not reached that point in my Christian journey. On the other end of the spectrum, more conservative traditions have emphasized the hypothetical inerrancy of the Bible, holding a view of the Bible that completely ignores the discrepancies in the Bible, and more importantly, the long and complicated history of the Bible’s transmission and translation. For these Christians, if the Bible says it, then it must be true. I have moved from this position, which I was taught at a younger age. But neither the more liberal nor the more conservative positions are tenable in my mind.

A third motive for my critical look at the Bible and faith logically follows the second in that an insufficient education in our faith, and in the Bible on which our faith is based, has led not only to biblical illiteracy as many people do not know the Bible, but more tragically, to ignorance when it comes to biblical interpretation and theological thinking. Most Bible study groups do not seriously consider the complexities and conundrums inherent in reading ancient texts. Instead, they focus on how we as individuals can improve our lives, and the discussions usually center on what the Bible has to say to me at this point in my life. While this is important for people of faith, it is secondary to delving deeply into the text of the Bible. Failure to do so will only lead us to assume what the Bible says, or to make it say what we want it to say without giving careful thought and attention to the text itself.

Over the next few weeks I will be raising some questions about the Christian faith, and primarily about the Bible. Obviously I will be writing from my own perspective and from my own experience of thinking about these issues. Many of you will disagree with me in part or altogether. I embrace such dialogue, for I appreciate diverse views as long as they are supported with rational arguments based on evidence. I have given many hours, days and years to considering these questions and to seeking answers based on available evidence. I will not claim to be the last word on these issues, and my mind often changes, but if I can persuade my readers to think more seriously and critically about their faith, regardless whether we come down on the same side of the theological fence, then my ministry in this area has been effective. After all, I am convinced that Jesus was right when he said, “the truth will set you free.”

No comments: